Eastern Counties Railway rule book, 1846
This unlettered booklet measures 15 x 10.5cm and is dated 20th
December 1846. We are indebted to retired Ipswich railwayman Ken
Lightfoot for preserving this remarkable document. It was given to him
by Mr Cyril Peartree who writes on a slip of paper inside:
'Born 1903, 27 Commercial Rd [now Grafton Way] Ipswich
Left school at 14
Great Eastern pension retired at 65
was £4.50 a month'
To download the PDF of the whole book click Railway
The Eastern Counties Railway
(ECR) was a company incorporated in 1836 intended to link London with
Ipswich via Colchester, and then extend to Norwich and Yarmouth.
Construction began in 1837 on the first nine miles at the London end.
Construction was beset by engineering and other problems, leading to
severe financial difficulties. As a result, the project was truncated
at Colchester in 1843 but through a series of acquisitions (including
the Eastern Union Railway who completed the
link between Colchester and Norwich) and opening of other lines, the
ECR became the largest of the East Anglian railways. In 1862 ECR was
merged with a number of other companies to form the Great Eastern
Railway (GER). The armorial of GER can be seen in St Mary-at-Stoke Church.
Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
©2004 Copyright throughout
the Ipswich Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission