The band of
land running up Westerfield Road opposite
the upper end of Christchurch Park as
far as Constable Road was for
many years a female only public school, accomodated in large 'houses',
some rather impressive (like so many around the park area). The school
stood in some kind of balance with the Ipswich School (for male
students, now co-educational) which still stands on the opposite side
of the park on Henley Road and Ivry Street. In 1992 the Ipswich High
School site was sold for development as housing and the school moved to
the Shotley peninsular.
The remnant which marks the site is a white block of stone built into
the brick gatepost of No. 26 Westerfield Road:
PUBLIC DAY SCHOOL TRUST
in May 2010, the shadow of the capstone on
our image, not to mention the unexpectedly high position of the upper
lettering, make it difficult to read. Now dominated by the brass '26'
below, this discreet piece of lettering is easily missed in front of a
fine, redbrick, gabled, double-bayed house.
Hall is a large country house on the banks of the River
Orwell and built in 1776 by William Berners. Since 1992 it has
been the home of Ipswich High
school lettering try: Ipswich
Ragged Schools (there's a contrast...), Smart
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission