station, another semicircular arch: one of
Waterloo's most notable features is the Victory Arch, built of Portland
Stone. This commemorates the London and South Western and the Southern
Railway men who gave their lives in the First and Second World Wars.
station was opened on 11 July 1848 by the London and South Western
Railway. The Necropolis station (see below*) opened in October 1854
with the North station opening on 3 August 1860. The connection to the
South Eastern Railway opened in January 1864. Waterloo Junction station
(the present Waterloo East station) opened on 1 January 1869. The South
station opened on 16 December 1878 and an additional North platform was
added in November 1885. The Waterloo and City station opened on 8
August 1898 while the new Necropolis station opened on 16 February
1902. The South Eastern Railway connection was decommissioned on 26
March 1911. The station was completely rebuilt between 1900 and 1922
and had its official opening on 21 March 1922. The Necropolis station
was bombed on 16 April 1941 but was not rebuilt.
appears (attached to the stone facing) above the arch flanked by crowns
and in white on blue ceramic either side of the central clock below.
Running around the glazed section above the clock in condensed capitals
of pierced silver metal:
'DEDICATED TO THE EMPLOYEES OF THE
COMPANY WHO FELL IN THE WAR'.
medallions grouped around the decorative frieze of
the arch are the names of theatres of the Great War:
'BELGIUM... ITALY... DARDANELLES... FRANCE (below the
central olive leaf-wreathed head)
remarkable feature is the clock at the radial
centre of the archway. Surrounded by a sunburst of shards, with clouds
below them, a swag of fruit below them, the clock face is topped by a
military helmet and banner.
On the plinths of the statue groups on either side are the dates of
"The War To End All Wars": '1914'
to the left
to the right.
The concourse underwent some remodelling work between 1978 and 1983.
Platforms 20 and 21 were lost to the Waterloo International railway
station site, which from 1994 until 13 November 2007 was the London
terminus of Eurostar international trains. Construction necessitated
the removal of decorative masonry forming two arches from that side of
the station, bearing the legend "Southern Railway". This was re-erected
at the private Fawley Hill Museum of Sir William McAlpine, whose
company built Waterloo International. Waterloo International closed
when the Eurostar service transferred to the astonishing, newly rebuilt
St Pancras railway station: a Victorian cathedral of railways, indeed.
The rather sad sight of the disused 'International' section of the
station which seems to be bolted on to the main body of the building
lies behind the cluttered and largely ignored sculpture of that great
painter of the railways: Terence Cuneo: star of so many jigsaws,
railway posters and carriage pictures of yore. Perhaps this section
ought to be re-christened 'The New Necropolis Station' (see below).
roof and platforms of the
1900 – 1922 station were designed by J. W. Jacomb-Hood and A.
Szlumper, engineers for the LSWR. The roof is of transverse ridge and
furrow construction and is 520ft by 540ft. The maximum single span is
about 118ft. The office buildings were designed by J. R. Scott, the
chief assistant architect for LSWR. It is in Imperial Baroque style and
is notable for its Victory Arch. This was designed to commemorate the
loss of LSWR servicemen during the First World War. It is constructed
from Portland stone and carries statues depicting War and Peace, which
are placed below a statue of Britannia.
Cemetery was opened in November 1854, and
was the largest in the world. It was originally called the London
Necropolis [literally 'city of the dead'] or Woking Cemetery. An
unusual feature of Brookwood Cemetery
was that it had its own private railway running through the grounds.
The main reason for this was that the Cemetery was over 25 miles from
central London, and the only convenient method of transporting coffins
and mourners was by the London & South Western Railway. The
trains began to operate from 13 November 1854 when the Cemetery opened
to the public.
A private Necropolis terminus was provided just outside Waterloo
station. The original station (1854-1902) was located between York
Street (now Leake Street) and the Westminster Bridge Road. This station
was replaced by a more extensive building in 1902. This was due to the
complete reconstruction of Waterloo Station. The original terminus was
demolished at about this time. The new station was located at 121
Westminster Bridge Road and continued to provide railway funeral
traffic until the station was bombed on the night of 16-17th April
1941. This entrance fascia at number 121 still exists and we clearly
remember finding our way out of the main station via this access in the
1980s past the boarded-up remnants of the original booking windows with
the lettering 'BOOKING OFFICE' above.
left: the now disused
Necropolis station entrance.
right: not far from
Waterloo, as one walks down the river
and on the site of a demolished rail crossing over the Thames, next to
the rather brutalist architecture of Doggett's Coat & Badge pub
(now, inexplicably, a bar called
'Doggett's', thus at a stroke removing the link to the prize and name
for the oldest rowing race in the world: up to six apprentice Watermen
of the River Thames compete for this prestigious honour, which has been
held every year since 1715), this fine piece of Victoriana in pierced
is Latin for unvanquished. The date wrapped
around the huge 'V' and Latin motto
float on scroll flourishes; the railway company name in a circle around
four armorial emblems. Thank goodness that London's refurbishment of
its riverside celebrates such a fine pair of decorative bridge
stantions. The bridge is 933 feet long, and had five spans of
wrought-iron lattice girders, supported by massive cast-iron columns.
The line was closed in 1964 and the superstructure removed in 1985,
leaving just the headless columns in the river and its decorative
Engineer: Joseph Cubitt. Contractor: Kennards of Monmouthshire. The
columns can still be seen next to the present day Blackfriars Rail
LONDON CHATHAM AND DOVER RAILWAY
See also the Oxo
Tower on this walk. Which
isn't too far down the Southwark embankment from
which is hugely
signed on a wall which also bears a trompe
l'oeil run of painted
windows. It can be seen on the riverside
walk from The Cut, which is slightly south of Waterloo Sation, to Tate
Modern (the former Bankside power station).
Here are three images from sites around Waterloo.
' ...J.W. CUNNINGHAM & CO...
Stamford Street coal hole cover. This
is apparently last remaining 'dog and pot' coal
hole cover left which has not been stolen: it is set in concrete. 'Dog
and Pot' is an old pub name which Dickens noted.
196 BLACKFRIARS . ROAD . SE
IRON . STEEL . AND
courtesy David Gaylard
'WORKS ... 1846
... & MILLS'
The arched entrance with incised
characters is in in a row of early Victorian
houses in Balfe
St (behind Caledonian Road)
in Kings Cross. The small, white painted '1846' date is in the
'keystone' in the centre. Described by one image collector as: "An
inviting archway [looking into the Regents Quarter] on the west side of
the street at number 17 leads into Albion Yard where blue, for washing
white clothes, was manufactured."
courtesy David Gaylard
St Patrick's School, Secker Street near the junction with Cornwall Road
is the location of the
'GIRLS & INFANTS'
sign in vernacular font. We think we could call that intriguing overlap
of 'L' and 'S' a
For further examples see our London Galleries page.