Street Signs

The use of cast or printed signs for street names is a relatively recent development; streets have changed their names or have not been signed in any way in centuries past. This is probably due to the fact that anyone who lived in the town would know the whereabouts of The Shambles (which once stood on the site of the Post Office building on Cornhill) or Buttermaket (a name surviving to the present day) and any visitor would be able to ask the way.

Albion Hill: this old name for the area around the top of the hill of Woodbridge Road is not signed, but it is labelled twice on the 1867 map shown on our Sunny Place page.
111 Bramford Road and the next door Hovis lettering

Benchmark: an Ordnance Survey benchmark in Christchurch Street
Brick wall  (mixed) in Tuddenham Road bearing a brick-making company name.
Bishops Hill and its brickwork street sign
Boundary markers mini-site featuring research and images by Paul Horne
Blue plaques put up to the memory of the famous and the interesting, plus other plaques
Carnsers: a vanishing word and feature of our street scene; also Parkside Avene (atop a carnser).
Charles Street has a gate with a donation credit.
Civic Drive, now no longer leadng to the Civic Centre, has street nameplates with a faded coat of arms
'Clean it up!' Pavement lettering from Borough Council to discourage dog-fouling
Clocks: public clocks in and around the town centre.
Courts and yards in 19th century Ipswich (maps and text); also Charles Court (off Upper Orwell Street), Watts Court off Foundation Street, Wingfield Street and house, the Salvation Army Citadel
Coytes Gardens with its paving setts (sadly vandalised by the Highways Authority in 2017)
Curson Lodge, St Nicholas Street; the story of Lord Curson's house (now lost), and Wolsey's attempt to have it for himself; also a page about Wolsey's College
Dog's Head Street signed on The Plough
Elm Street: 'Quill Court'
Ernleigh Road and its etymology.
Felaw Street, Maltings Terrace, Bulstrode Road, Little and Great Whip Streets, Gower Street: all in Over Stoke
Friars Bridge Road, now an appendix to Princes Street, but link to the Cattle Market and way back to the Friary of Greyfriars (1298-1535)
Greyfriars & Cromwell Street as seen in the 1960s
leaflet Ipswich Tomorrow
'IBH': the hidden lettering on the Argyle Street/St Helens Street junction; and by the same technique, the hidden 'ITFC' sign on Portman Road, plus bicycle symbol
Ipswich Transport Museum has some rescued examples of street name plates
King Street: the triple-named and very short street, also the narrow,
the quadruple-named Lion Street and Arcade Street.
Lancaster Road also Nottidge Road
Lloyds Avenue, our Art Deco street
Mile End (Coleman Buildings)
Milestones: Ipswich has an intact collection of cast iron Turnpike markers (see also the Toll-house link below)
Myrtle Road memorial: a tragic piece of Ipswich history on a wall near the park
Norfolk House in Over Stoke
Old Cattle Market leads us round St Stephen Church, down St Stephens Lane and to the house of Sir Thomas Rush and other lost mansions in the area.
Parliament Road also Upper Orwell Courts and Northgate Street
Plough Street: the smallest street in Ipswich.
Purplett Street and Tyler Street nameplates and plaques
Railings and gates in some of our streets carry foundry names in the castings.
Railway bridges and their numbering system
     Felixstowe Branch Line (Ipswich - Westerfiled - Felixstowe)
     Saxmundham to Aldeburgh
Branch Line
     Dales Brickyard Light Railway
Rosehill Library case study: overview of the development of public libraries in the town and the great and good invlved in the founding of Rosehill Library
52 degrees North: the Pegasus sculpture on Ravenswood
     Cardinal Wolsey,  that most famous and unlovable of Ipswich's sons
Giles Circus and the statue commemorating Ipswich's second most famous son
     Our Lady of Grace, Lady Lane
Prince Obolensky, Russian pilot and rugby player; Cromwell Square
     Pylons by Bernard Reynolds athe entrance the old Suffolk College
     Ship by Bernard Reynolds on the Civic Drive/Handford Road roundabout
     Tam next to St Mary-At-Elms
     More public sculptures (The Navigator and Against the tide) can be seen on our Water in Ipswich page.
Slade Street mystery tablet dated 1812
Slavery Abolitionists commemorated in Ipswich street names
St Helens Church Lane: an unusual street sign
Street furniture (pillar boxes, drain covers, British Relay TV boxes etc.) also the removal of the K6 phone box outside the Greyhound
Street and house naming, also house numbering as delineated by Ipswich Borough Council.
Street nameplates: a rich variety of styles, fonts and materials with links to relevant pages
Street nameplates on posts!
Newton Road and Gladstone Road
Street names (a page of derivations and sources)
Toll-house (now Barclays Bank) on the junction of Woodbridge Road and Rushmere Road.
Tuddenham Road/Gainsborough Road garden wall, including kiln 'wasters' and a partial lettered brick.
Turret Lane and its importance in relation to Wolsey's College
Vicarage, St John's Lodge, Harmony Square, Woodbridge Road
Warwick Road and the lost York Road of the 1860s
Water has often had dramatic effects on streets in Ipswich.
Willis monolith: the obelisk which marks 800 years of Ipswich history in the new thoroughfare built between Friars Street and Cromwell Square when the Willis building was erected.

Related pages:
House name plaque examples: Alston Road; Bramford Road; Cauldwell Hall Road; Cavendish Street; Marlborough Road; Rosehill area;
Cauldwell Hall Road house names; Marlborough Road house names; Rosehill house names
Named buildings list; Named (and sometimes dated) buildings examples
Borough guidelines on street and house naming and numbering
Dated buildings list; Dated buildings examples
; Dated rain-hoppers/weather vanes
Origins of street names in Ipswich; Streets named after slavery abolitionists
Street index; Boundary markers
Ipswich Tomorrow, Greyfriars 1960s

Rampart and Town gates

Historic maps of Ipswich
Timeline: historical eras, events and monarchs
Freehold Land Society
Ipswich coat of arms
Pubs & Off licences
Brickyards; Ropewalks in Ipswich
Listed buildings in Ipswich
Windmills in the Borough of Ipswich

The history of street naming is an area of study all its own. We recommend The Way We Went: Streets in 19th Century Ipswich by Muriel Clegg, see Reading List.

[Our background is the rail bridge number on Tuddenham Road.]

Please email any comments and contributions by clicking here.
Search Ipswich Historic Lettering
2004 Copyright throughout the Ipswich Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission